- 8 ounces fresh medium shrimp in their shells
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups regular grits (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Clean shrimp, removing shells; use tip of sharp knife to remove veins. Pat dry with paper towels. Set aside. In a large saucepan bring the water and grits to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan sauté pancetta over medium heat about 12 minutes or until crispy. Remove from pan; set aside. Add olive oil to pan; heat over medium heat. Add shrimp; sauté about two minutes or until shrimp are done and firm to the touch. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Add pancetta, cheddar cheese, butter, salt, and white pepper to grits, stirring until cheese and butter are melted. Transfer to serving dish; top with shrimp and scallions.