- One cup (two sticks) unsalted butter
- Six eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease and lightly flour two 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven 350°F. In large mixing bowl cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating about 10 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Rum extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating one minute after each addition, and scraping bowl frequently.
- Alternately add flour mixture and sweetened condensed milk to butter mixture, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Divide batter between prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near the center come out clean. Cool cakes and pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on wire racks.