- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (to grease pan)
- 5 Idaho potatoes
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cornbread Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Add milk, eggs, and canola oil; mix all together. Fold in sour cream.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Mashed Potatoes First, prepare cornbread; set aside. Next, wash and peel potatoes; cut them into small cubes. Place the potato cubes in a pot of cold water with a pinch of salt. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- When the cubes are fully cooked, strain them from the hot water and return them to the hot pan. Add the milk, butter, and cream. Mash cubes until you have the texture you want (lumpy or smooth).
- Cut a large piece of cornbread and crumble it into mashed potato mixture. Add salt, pepper, and parsley; mix well. Garnish each serving with a small slice of cornbread.