- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 strips of turkey bacon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 very large bunch collard greens stemmed and sliced into bite size strips
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock plus extra if needed
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a medium size sauce pan. Add the bacon and sautÃ© for a few minutes or until starting to crisp, then set aside on paper towels, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the garlic and sautÃ© until fragrant. Add the collard greens and cook until they begin to wilt.
- Pour in the stock, vinegar, sugar and pepper. Cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Let cook until the greens are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Uncover, add the bacon, raise the heat to medium-high, and reduce the liquid until there is barely any left. Season with salt if necessary.