makes 4 servings
- One half of a 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets
- Three small Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce (ingredients below)
- One and a half cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F. Lightly floured surface cut out 4-inch circles from sheet of puff pastry. Place rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple in half. Thinly slice apples. Arrange the Apple slices in a circle on top of each pastry round so they overlap slightly. In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the apples. Top each tart with some butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the apples are tender. Serve with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.
- Caramel Sauce In a large saucepan combine sugar and water. Cook and stir over high heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking, stirring occassionally, until mixture is a golden color. Remove from heat, carefully whisk in cream, half at a time. Stir in butter. Return to medium heat to melt any sugar lumps. Let cool.