Details & Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion break half cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 pound and andouille sausage
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- Two 15 ounce cans black-eyed peas
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- fried leek
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery, shallot, and garlic. While this cooks for a minute or two, dice the uncooked sausage. Add half of the sausage to the pot.
- In a sauté pan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Brown the remaining sausage. Once brown, use a paper towel to soak up excess oil in pan; set sausage aside.
- Add butter, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper (to taste) to the onion mixture in the pot. Let cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add black eyed peas to pot; cook for a couple of minutes. Add chicken stock. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and hot sauce.
- To serve, ladle soup into a bowl and top with fried leek, brown sausage, and cilantro.